The Office of the State Fire Commissioner has announced the 2022-2023 Fire Company and Emergency Medical Services Grant Program awards. Elverson Honey Brook applied for this grant and has been awarded $20,000.
Under the Fire Commissioner Act, the Pennsylvania State Fire Commissioner is the official charged with meeting the diverse training, operational, and informational needs of the commonwealth’s fire and emergency service community.
Many different projects are eligible for the award of the Fire Company and Emergency Medical Services Grant.
Eligible projects include:
• Facilities: Construction and/or renovation of the fire company's or ambulance service’s facility and purchase or repair of fixtures and furnishings necessary to maintain or improve the capability of the company to provide fire, ambulance and rescue services.
• Equipment: Purchase or repair of firefighting, ambulance, or rescue equipment. This includes the purchase of fuel for company vehicles.
• Debt Reduction: Debt reduction associated with the facility (1) or equipment (2) categories above.
• Training: Training and certification of members.
• Training and Education: Materials regarding fire prevention for the general public.
• Career Departments Only: Overtime costs associated with backfilling positions while firefighters are attending training.
• Recruitment and Retention: Including, but not limited to, volunteer firefighter length of service award programs and programs for minors.
• Construction Savings Account – Fire Companies Only: A fire company may apply for a grant for the purpose of constructing a new facility. The grant funds shall be deposited into a Construction Savings Account. The account will be administered by the Commissioner. A fire company may only apply for a grant for up to 5 years. This project cannot be amended.
Elverson Honey Brook Area EMS has elected to utilize these funds for debt reduction. While this is not a highly visible use, it helps to ensure the financial stability of the organization for years to come. We have been a part of the community for over 70 years , sound financial management will allow us to continue to serve our community for many more.